Norway: Police say five dead and two wounded in bow and arrow attacks

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

At least five people were killed and two others were injured in a series of attacks by a man armed with a bow and arrow yesterday Wednesday in the city Kongsberg, in the southwest Norway, announced the Norwegian police.

THE Evin Os, the police chief in the city, about 70 km southwest of the capital, Oslo, stated earlier in a press conference he gave on Wednesday night (23:00 pm Greek time) that the perpetrator was arrested and “according to our information, he is the only person involved.” At that time he had not counted the number of dead, but also the condition of the wounded.

The media and a source close to the first aid services, however, at the same time spoke of at least four dead and many injured, without of course the official confirmation that came after the police themselves.

THE Ος he also stated that there was a “clash” between officers and the attacker, but did not elaborate further.

THE Ος refused to comment on press reports that a police officer had been shot in the back. He said the attacks took place in a “large area” of the city and involved many crime scenes.

The incumbent Prime Minister, Erna Solberg, described the reports of the attack as “scary” and said it was too early to guess the man’s motive.

“I understand that many people are scared, but it is important to stress that the police are now in control,” he said.

The Prime Minister-designate, Jonas Gahr Støre, who is expected to take office today, called the attack “a cruel and brutal act” in comments to the Norwegian news agency NTB.

The local police chief, Evin Os He also stressed that “from the information we have so far, this person acted alone. The man used a bow and arrow in some of the attacks. ” Police are investigating, among other things, to determine if other weapons were used, he added.

The motive for the attack, which took place in several locations in the city center with a population of 28,000, remains to be clarified, with police not ruling out the possibility of a terrorist act as mentioned in the press conference. According to unconfirmed information from the TV channel TV2, the arrested man is an Islamist of Norwegian origin.

Note that the suspect is being held at the city police station Δράμεν and as he had stated earlier in the press conference o Ος has not yet been questioned.

Get real time updates directly on you device, subscribe now.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.