Putin Allies Express Concern Over “Excesses” of Partial Mobilization

- Advertisement -

On Sunday, Russia’s two most important lawmakers addressed a series of complaints about the partial mobilization campaign, ordering regional authorities to control the situation and quickly resolve the “excesses” that have fueled the anger of the population.

President Vladimir Putin’s decision to order Russia’s first military deployment since World War II has sparked protests across the country and seen bands of military-age men flee, causing border delays and the sale of flights.

- Advertisement -

Several reports also documented how people without military service received preliminary documents — contrary to Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu’s assurance that only those with special military skills or combat experience would be drafted — prompting even pro-Kremlin figures to publicly express concern.

Russia’s two top lawmakers, both close allies of Putin, explicitly addressed public outrage over the way the mobilization campaign was unfolding.

- Advertisement -

Valentina Matviyenko, president of Russia’s upper house, the Federation Council, said she was aware of reports of men who should have been ineligible for draft enlistment.

“Such excesses are absolutely unacceptable. And I consider it absolutely right that they are provoking a strong reaction in society,” he said in a post on the messaging app Telegram.

In a direct message to Russia’s regional governors, which she declared to have “full responsibility” for the implementation of the call, she wrote: “Ensure that the implementation of partial mobilization is carried out in full and absolute compliance with the criteria described. Mistake.”

Vyacheslav Volodin, chairman of the State Duma, Russia’s lower house, also expressed concern in a separate post.

“Complaints are being received”, he explained.

“If a mistake is made, it needs to be corrected… Authorities at all levels must understand their responsibilities,” he continued.

Officials say another 300,000 Russians will be called up to serve in the mobilization campaign. The Kremlin has twice denied that it actually plans to recruit more than a million, following two separate reports in independent media.

Human rights groups say more than 2,000 have been detained at anti-mobilization rallies in dozens of cities so far this week, with more protests recorded on Sunday in Russia’s Far East and Siberia.

Source: CNN Brasil

- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Hot Topics

Related Articles