The City Hall of Recife declared emergency situation due to the heavy rains that hit the metropolitan region of the city since the beginning of the week. So far, 34 people have died.
In an interview with CNN the mayor Joao Campos (PSB) , says that this is an “extremely challenging time” and the phenomenon is something “completely out of the ordinary”. “It is up to us to be able to work to reduce the impacts of people and to be able to take care of the city.”
“We are going through an extremely adverse moment, it is a meteorological phenomenon known as Onda de Leste, which has reached the Metropolitan Region of Recife. From Monday to today, we have a cumulative of approximately 450 millimeters.”
According to him, in the last 24 hours alone, 234 millimeters were recorded in the most affected region, in Ibura.
“Our focus has been permanent and integral to saving lives. There are 3,000 professionals from the city hall, 400 from Civil Defense and 2,600 from other areas that are fully mobilized and acting.”
“Unfortunately, it is the biggest disaster of the last 50 years in Recife, recorded in the Metropolitan Region.”
The city government intensified the Recife Solidário donation campaign and set up three collection points to receive food, mattresses, blankets and basic baskets.
“We reinforce that it is important for all families who are in risk areas, that they need to be removed. We currently have 30 shelters operating in schools and day care centers,” said the mayor.
Victims and affected regions
According to the Civil Defense, there were 28 deaths in the last 24 hours alone. Most are from the Jardim Monte Verde community, in the South Zone of Recife. Nineteen people died from landslides there.
In addition, also this Saturday, the Civil Defense reported another 6 deaths in the municipality of Camaragibe, two deaths in the capital due to landslides that occurred in the Córrego do Jenipapo and Sítio dos Pintos, and a child died in the municipality of Jaboatão dos Guararapes.
Source: CNN Brasil