That time Meghan Markle mortified Prince Charles

The photos of the Prince Charles accompanying Meghan Markle to the altar on the day of his royal wedding with Harry (it was 19 May 2018) they went around the world. After defection of father Thomas – with whom the Duchess has now cut all ties – the scene was interpreted by everyone in the most “feel-good” of ways: Carlo, who so much wanted a daughter after William, had been able to experience the thrill of bringing the daughter in law; Meghan for her part he had found a replacement father in Carlo to refer to after the real father had given up due to an alleged heart attack (the real reason for his absence was the scandal of a series of photos sold to paparazzi).

A narrative to which the press release from Kensington Palace had also contributed: «Ms Meghan Markle he asked His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales to be at his side along the aisle del Quire of St. George Chapel on her wedding day. The prince is delighted to be able to welcome Ms Markle into the family in this way“. Meghan could have entered St. George Chapel on the arm of her future husband Harry, as other royals had done in the past. But no: he had chosen the future father-in-law. This, at least, was what everyone thought. But a new book tells a completely different version of the story.

Prince Charles accompanies Meghan Markle to the altar

Jonathan Brady / ipa-agency.net

Robert Hardmanwell-known journalist, writer and documentary maker specializing in telling the British royal family, in his new book entitled Queen of Our Times: The Life of Elizabeth II (in bookstores from March 17) says that it was Carlo himself who offered to accompany Meghan to the altar. The future king, proposing to her daughter-in-law, told her that she would be honored to be able to hold her arm in arm along the aisle of St. George’s Chapel in Windsor. The American’s response was certainly not what Queen Elizabeth’s eldest son expected. Meghan, in fact, said to the prince: “Can we meet in the middle?“. Carlo, although mortified (“he was very badly there”), accepted his daughter-in-law’s request. And he in fact he only joined her in the middle of the walk towards the altar. Evidence evident, as wrote the Daily Mailthat the former actress was certainly not a shy bride, “but a self-confident and independent woman, determined to make the grand entrance alone“.

Source: Vanity Fair

You may also like