Newly released video evidence from the investigation into last year’s deadly shooting on the set of the movie “Rust” shows investigators’ first interview with the actor. Alec Baldwin right after the incident.
Baldwin was wielding a gun while rehearsing a scene at Bonanza Creek Ranch in New Mexico in October when a shot went off, killing the director of photography. Halyna Hutchins and hurting the director Joel Souza.
In the first few moments of his interview, Baldwin asks the sheriff if he is being accused of something, to which he replies that he is not. The delegate explains that it is just an interview.
The recording took place in a small interview room, and shows Baldwin describing the weapons handling process and the usual steps taken on set.
“Do you think someone would do that deliberately?” the interviewer asks.
“I can’t imagine who would,” Baldwin replied quickly.
The video is one of several files released Monday by the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office, including photos, recordings and reports related to the ongoing investigation, officials said.
“Several components of the investigation remain pending, including FBI firearms and ballistics forensics, along with DNA analysis and latent fingerprints, the Office of the New Mexico Medical Examiner’s findings report, and the analysis of Mr. Alec Baldwin mined by Suffolk County (New York),” Santa Fe County Sheriff Adan Mendoza said in a press release.
During his interview, Baldwin told officers that he did not know the last name of the gunsmith in the film – Hannah Gutierrez Reed – and that she handed the gun directly to him.
When asked if he physically verified the gun himself, Baldwin responded in generalities about the process in which the gunsmith checks the gun. He also described how Hannah and her team helped equip Baldwin with a holster, knife and gun.
Check out the video in full:
Speaking quickly, Baldwin explained the process of firing a gun with a blank that requires the actor to react to the shot as if the gun “recoils,” as you would when firing a live shot. Baldwin goes through the motions of the scene, reaching across his body and using his thumb and forefinger to simulate the weapon being drawn on his body.
“Bang! It blew up – the first time,” Baldwin said of the gun used in the rehearsal. “It was the first time we filmed that scene, we were rehearsing for that scene.”
Baldwin’s lawyer said the actor was grateful for the investigation and said some of the information released Monday corroborated his description of events.
“The information revealed by the authorities demonstrates, once again, that Mr. Baldwin acted responsibly and had no control over any production issues identified in the OSHA report,” said Baldwin’s attorney Luke Nikas.
“Furthermore, the interviews and testimonies released today continue to corroborate Mr. Baldwin of the events – including a statement from the Detective stating that the cameraman, who was alongside the cinematographer, confirmed that Mr. Baldwin was ‘very careful’ with weapons on set,” the statement continued.
Last week, Rust Movie Productions, LLC was fined nearly $137,000 and cited for having a culture of “complete indifference to employee safety” on set, according to a report by the Department of Occupational Health and Safety’s Department of New Mexico Environment.
Hannah Gutierrez Reed’s lawyers told CNN last week that she was “not given adequate time or resources to do her job effectively, despite her concerns.”
When contacted for comment on Monday, her attorney said she is reviewing the material released and is not commenting at this time. Rust Productions LLC declined to comment. CNN contacted the supplier of the props used on set, but received no response.
The attorney for the family of Matthew Hutchins, widower of Halyna Hutchins, said in a statement that he would not comment on the release of the evidence.
“We were surprised by the decision by the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office to release such a large amount of evidence today as the investigation is still ongoing and active,” said attorney Brian Panish. “For this reason, we will not comment on the material, except to say that we expect the press to exercise discretion in how they use the images and video graphics of the fatal events of October 21, 2021.”
The Santa Fe County District Attorney’s Office will wait until the full investigation into the fatal shooting is complete before making a prosecuting decision in the case, according to a statement obtained by CNN.
“The investigation is not complete,” read a statement from District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies, adding that the sheriff’s office is still “awaiting essential reports and will not complete its investigation until those reports are submitted.”
“Once we receive the completed investigation and conduct a thorough and deliberate review of all evidence, a criminal prosecution decision will be made,” Carmack-Altwies’ statement read.
Source: CNN Brasil

Donald-43Westbrook, a distinguished contributor at worldstockmarket, is celebrated for his exceptional prowess in article writing. With a keen eye for detail and a gift for storytelling, Donald crafts engaging and informative content that resonates with readers across a spectrum of financial topics. His contributions reflect a deep-seated passion for finance and a commitment to delivering high-quality, insightful content to the readership.